Thursday 24 July 2014

Heading east.....


En route east now and so far it's been hot, clegless and purple. Yes the heather has arrived and it is indeed Bonny Scotland. I have come through Loch Lochy, Glen Roy, the Corrieyarrick Pass, Kingussie, Strathdearn and am now in Aviemore.
I have had company on the hill from Manny and Brenda. In 2008, Manny ran all the corbetts in 70 days, ( don't compare, fine race horse and pack mule come to mind!). It has been great to be able to discuss the journey with someone who has been there and to get  a few hints and tips on the route plan.

A couple of days ago when I had come over from Kingussie to Strathdearn a big, big day, Manny and his mate Geoff had cycled in a mountain bike which saved me an extra 12km walking and then Rob arrived with all my camping kit and a picnic. The support is amazing. 
Yesterday I was heading up Meall a Buachille when I came across a motley crew. My team from my work with the Venture Trust were out on the hill. I have wondered from the start if I would come across them somewhere. it was great to see them and catch up on what has been happening. The girls are doing well this year, Holly and Laura have been Hoofing it Home (virgin money giving hoofing it home), a journey they undertook with their horses from Aberfeldy to the Lake district raising money for the Venture Trust, their human charity and World Horse Welfare, their horsey one on the way. A superb journey and one I am looking forward to reading up on.
That's if for now. I am now on my way east and there is a lot of miles in between each of the hills out there. Only 53 to go ..........

No comments:

Post a Comment